We process personal information relating to individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event and/or undertake an assessment (‘Applicants’) only for legitimate purposes in the following categories:
Human Resources and personnel management
- Applications for employment, results of interviews and assessments:
- Personal contact details;
- Management reporting and analysis including statistical analysis and surveys regarding the quality of the recruitment process;
- Internal audits and investigations;
Pre- screening of Applicants
We carry out screening of all Applicants who we intend to make an offer of employment, engagement or internship (as the case may be) and prior to any offer being confirmed for the purposes of:
- verifying the information that an Applicant provides during the screening/interview process. This will include verifying information with current/previous employers and educational institutions. No steps will be taken in this respect until the Applicant confirms the verification can take place.
- screening Applicants against publicly available or government issued sanctions lists and media sources. This is to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, to protect Shell’s assets and employees/contractors and specifically to ensure that Shell can comply with trade control, anti-money laundering and/or bribery and corruption laws and other regulatory requirements.
Personal data regarding suspected and actual criminal behaviour, criminal records or proceedings regarding criminal or unlawful behaviour may be processed as part of the pre-employment/pre-engagement screening but only for the purposes of ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory obligations and/or to the extent permitted or required by local law.
Automated decision making
All applicants must answer questions which are necessary to ensure that individuals can lawfully enter a contract with a Shell company if they are successful in their application. In addition, for graduate hires, we utilize an online assessment tool which scores individuals on their suitability for employment, based on automated decision making to ensure objectivity. In those cases, you will be notified of this and you will have the opportunity to have such automated decisions reviewed by or on behalf of a member of the Shell recruitment team. Save as specifically notified to you during the recruitment process, no other automated decision making will take place to determine suitability or eligibility for employment or engagement as a contractor.
Special categories of data (‘sensitive personal data’)
For the purposes of recruitment, personal data regarding health data may be processed only as strictly required and as permitted or required by local law for the purposes of making adjustments to the recruitment process, for assessing eligibility for positions and fitness to work and provision of facilities in the workplace to accommodate health problems.
In addition, in order to ensure equal employment opportunities as permitted or required by local law we may also gather data regarding Applicants, including their nationality, racial and/or ethnic origin.